Re: [GENERAL] Problems with INSERT INTO?

От Herouth Maoz
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Problems with INSERT INTO?
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
At 12:22 +0300 on 24/05/1999, Anna Langer wrote:

> We are not really sure if this question is right for this mailinglist.
> We have some problem with INSERT INTO and we dont know how to solve it.We
> are writing it in a C-program. We are trying to get an integer from a file
> and put it into a database. And we are sure that we get a interger into our
> program.

The proper mailing list is the "interfaces" list, where I am redirecting
this post now.

> int a=500;
>
> PQexec(conn, "INSERT INTO octets VALUES(a)");
>

> But the program works when we do like this:
>
> PQexec(conn, "INSERT INTO octets VALUES(500)");
>

> It feels like we need to convert int a in some way, byt we dont know how. We
> are beginners with Postgresql.

This is less on the PostgreSQL side, and more on the C side. Just putting
"a" in a string doesn't tell C to pass the variable a. It just passes the
character "a", right?

What you have to do is pass the value of a as part of the command string.
So you have to make a string out of a. This is usually done with sprintf,
like this:

char command[1000];
int a=500;

sprintf( command, "INSERT INTO octets VALUES(%d)", a );

PQexec( conn, command );

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.